Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Reading Response: Luc Sante

It's funny to think of the diverse associations we, as language-learning people, attach to words, phrases, and languages. Sante brings up random imagery, like the cross-hatched, frozen lake or his old family member, that just happened to coincide with thoughts and associations that he had while learning certain words. For the longest time (and still occasionally) I would always think of a swivel (one of those shiny things that spin on a fishing line when it's being reeled in in order to attract fish) whenever I heard the word "civil". I think it was because of the similarities between the two between the two words, or maybe because I mistook "civil" for "swivel" when I first heard the former, but it stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment